Friday, October 11, 2013

My Shadow

This poem is a prompt contest poem--the prompt being, "My Shadow".

The shadow followed me all day
Glimpsed in farthest corners of my eyes
Each time I turned, it sped away
Wherever Shadows run to hide

It took not shape, nor any form,
At least from what I briefly spied
It seemed a darkly presence at my back
I hurried home, and ran inside
Would its blackness fade with sunlight's lack?

No, it hovers just beyond my view
In darkness shows its wicked might
Taught me terrors I never knew
I reached quickly for some light

Each click, each lamp,
brought no flare, no brightness
To turn away the dark
Which made the Shadow more aware
That I could feel its evil mark

Do I deserve this dreaded fate?
My sins crossed o'er my mind and soul
Must I now pay the devil's toll?
Or be redeemed too late?
Only my Shadow knows



 

3 comments:

  1. This, Micki, is an excellent poem. It is very powerful and send shivers down my spine. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Raani, not my best but I've had no time to post on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Micki, this poem is filled imagery and it has a very deep message. It reminds me a little of the style of Alfred Lord Tennyson. Great work. You too are multi-talented.

    Shalom,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete