Saturday, November 24, 2012

Blog Hopping Through some Great Books

BLOG HOPPING THROUGH SOME GREAT BOOKS
For those who are not familiar with a blog hop, it is a lot like a treasure hunt. One you find something on one blog, you hop over to the next link for more treasure. In this case, the treasure is a wealth of new and exciting books. Some are still being written, some are just being released. Either way, for book lovers, it is a treasure and I would like to thank author:
T. R. Heinan for tagging me to participate. Visit him at: Author of L'Immortalite, Madame Lalaurie and the Voodoo Queen http://madamelalaurieandthevoodooqueen.blogspot.com/=
Reading my answers to the ten questions will give those of you who haven't yet read my book, a better idea of what it entails. It's not an ordinary story, rather one that will impact upon you on many levels.
I have posted my answers to on my blog to T.R. Heinan today and will attempt to post invitations on your individual blogs. The blog hop normally happens on Wednesdays but mine had to be three days late due to Thanksgiving. Here are the questions you will be answering: You can use the link at the bottom of this e-mail to see my post.

(The 10 promotional questions to be answered on your own blog on the 28th of November:)
1. What is the working title of your book?
The title of my book is . . . And the Whippoorwill Sang

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
 
This book was/is a deathbed promise to the child my family lost to a DWI vehicular event. It was not a book I wanted to write--rather I was compelled to write it as a catharsis for my grief and the fact that I was unable to talk about it. The short story version was accepted by "Victimology: an International Journal, along with two related poems. I continued writing--my only voice--and published short slice of life stories about my family, mostly humorous but some full of pathos and sorrow. This led to 25+ years as a journalist for several large newspapers.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

My book is a non-fiction, memoir-type funny, poignant family story that reads much like a novel.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

When I began the story many years ago, I had characters picked out, but a memory block from the trauma caused me to put the book away for nearly twenty years. Today, I'm not sure who would play the characters as they aged from birth to their late teens. One of my grandchildren has chosen Glenn Close to play me. :)

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
 
Happy times, a sunny day, a driving drunk, eight lives forever changed

6. Is your book self-published, published or represented by an agency?

My book was published by LSPdigital, and my present publisher, Linda Daly

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It took about six months to write the first half, before the trauma block prevented further writing. When that block was finally worked through, it took another eight months to finish the story and edit it for publishing.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
 
My book is comparable to "Cheaper By the Dozen" with a sad ending. It also reminds me in some ways of "To Kill a Mockingbird".

9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I feel that the teenage child I lost directly inspired me to write this book, because it is important that these horrific, devastating events that daily kill children and young adults be stopped. Teenagers from fifteen to adulthood, especially bond with this book because while the book takes place from 1959 through 1983, children are basically the same. It is my hope that as they read the book in their own school libraries, they will stop and think before they drink and drive and remember that they are responsible for their own actions. Saving one life is worth the writing of this book.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Reader's love the fact that they are drawn into the book and actually take the journey with us. They bond with family members, laugh hysterically at the comedic events which are the bulk of the story and weep with us through our big sorrow. Readers also are uplifted as were we, when the story closes on a bittersweet tone--with hope again bringing us together as a family. Readers particularly like the aftermath and epilogue showing how the remaining children grew up and the strange paranormal events which happened to us all--which let us know that our lost one was still with us.

Include list of your tagged blog hop buds for the next week and insert the 5 links to their blogs here. Checkout their blogs the following Wednesday to read about their latest books or WIPs.
 
Cynthia ainswworthe
Trish Jackson
Bryan Murphy
Louise Malbon-Reddix
http:www.victoryroadwellnesscenter.com
J. Vasquez

Micki Peluso: author of  . . . And the Whippoorwill Sang             

5 comments:

  1. Micki, great job. I love this and your writing. Your book does carry a gripping story that should be mandatory for all drunk drivers and those about to get their first drivers license! Perhaps I should have done this myself but was told it was for fictions only and mine is also a nonfiction.

    Many Blessings,
    Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins
    Extraordinary Dreams of anIreland Traveler
    http://www.ExtraordinaryIreland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great getting to know more about how your book came tobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Congratulations on being selected for the bloghop. I definitely thing that And The Whippoorwill Sang deserves to be up front. Your answers are also so true. When I read the book, I felt like I was a part of the family. I laughed, cried and suffered with you and your family, and that book has made a big imprint on my life.
    Love you, Micki.
    Ciao,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I am pleased to let you know that I have nominated you for the 'BLOG of the Year 2012" Award.
    If you would like to pick it up, please go to my own blog:

    http://raaniyork.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/blog-of-the-year-2012/

    There are the rules for you to follow and your Award to pick up.

    Congratulations - I just LOVE your blog posts - I do admire your talent and I'm convinced you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete